Outreachy Internship blog: Half Time

 

Outreachy Internship blog: Half Time

Hello! This blog is part of the series of blogs I am writing during my Outreachy 2020 summer internship with Intermine Boot project in the Intermine Organization.

I started the Outreachy internship with Intermine on 19th May 2020. As I write this blog, I have covered a little over half of this 3 month journey. Through this blog, I will look back in retrospect on what has been done, what goals have been achieved, what goals have been changed, what remains in the coming half of Outreachy. Let’s get started!

I am working on the Intermine boot project in the Intermine organization. As part of the internship, the goal is to improve the intermine boot functionality for local instance setup and integrate it with cloud API for other features. The intermine boot project is at a very early stage of development. Let’s break down the tasks in few big chunks:
– Implement versioned mine data uploading to cloud storage.
– Create Continuous Integration setup case
– Add wizard and configurator to get custom configuration from project
– Use all of the above to orchestrate docker containers for usage.

As with all projects, you can not plan everything beforehand and requirements change/emerge as the project evolves. Right from the start, one additional task was updated to move the intermine_boot project from using docker-compose file to use docker-py for setting up intermine instance. Another extra work was to add docker-intermine-gradle as a submodule to the project.

The wizard and configurator are part of the Intermine Cloud project. They are not at a state where we can integrate them intermine_boot right now. So, they’ve been moved back in the project and that task would be pursued if they manage to be at a state so that they can be integrated. In place of that, my mentor has added other tasks which are needed to improve the usability of intermine_boot.

I have submitted 6 pull requests for the project which cover some of the tasks mentioned above. I am fairly happy with my progress. There were roadblocks which led to slower progress than I would have initially assumed but I think I am getting better equipped to handle the coming half of the project.

I feel very happy that I got accepted to such an amazing community and got a great mentor!

Now, buckling up for the next half of the internship to get stuff done!!

Start by doing what’s necessary, then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible 

Saint Francis of Assissi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s a Wrap

Everybody Struggles!

Outreachy Internship blog: A beginner’s guide to Intermine Boot